Author: CHB

The Church of the Penitent Thief

  INOUTarchitettura, LADO architetti, LAMBER + LAMBER 1056.0 m2 2019 Pulce, Italy Initiated in 2010, the project for the new sacred space rises from a strongly participatory process shared with the whole community: a church that does not sacrifice its symbolic and evocative dimensions, while striving to be recognizable and inclusive. Taking a cue from the archetypal image of a church, the design seeks an architecture devoid of piety, to loyally reflect the essence yet be immediately readable: sober, solemn, but not monumental. It echoes the mysticism of everyday life.   The wall casing is light in color, evoking...

Read More

Modernist with a delicate touch by Joseph Kelly, Editor

It’s funny how familiar places can suddenly take on a new significance – as an Oxford student in the mid-1980s I occasionally visited St. Catherine’s College but, like most young undergrads, spared no thought for its architecture or creator. Nova et Vetera is the college’s motto, ‘Things both old and new’. It was built in 1962 by the radical Danish architect Arne Jacobsen. Colloquially known simply as ‘Catz’, it’s now quite rightly a Grade One listed structure and interior. Although Jacobsen was a truly groundbreaking architect, he’s remembered best today for his iconic furniture designs – including the ‘Swan’,...

Read More

Chicago Union Station Great Hall restored

Named a Chicago landmark in 2002, Chicago Union Station was designed by noted architecture firm Graham, Anderson, Probst & White and completed in 1925. The station’s ornate Beaux-Arts main waiting room, the “Great Hall,” is one of the United States’ most historic and memorable public spaces with its 219-foot-long vaulted skylight and connecting lobbies and stairwells. Over the years, extensive deterioration and leaks developed in the original skylight, and plasterwork showed signs of decay. The project team was hired to investigate and assess the existing conditions, and design and construct a new watertight skylight over the original system. The...

Read More

Frank Gehry’s latest phase in Philadelphia museum project

Frank Gehry and his team have presented the latest milestone of the philadelphia museum of art’s master plan and renovation. the landmark building has served as the cultural heart of the great American city since its opening in 1928 at which time its north entrance and the ground-level spaces to which it led were designated entirely for public use. As this area was eventually repurposed as a loading dock in 1975 in preparation for the nation’s bicentennial, the significant space has since been hidden from public view. This latest phase in Gehry’s ‘core project’ master plan at last reintroduces to...

Read More

Radical parish church restoration at Eltham

St.Margaret’s Anglican Church was built in 1861, designed by the architect Nathaniel Billing as a polychromatic brick gothic revival building atop a hill in Pitt Street, Eltham.  The Heritage Victoria registered building is notable for its geometric brickwork, large buttresses, and central bell turret, but also featured a farsighted temporary rear wall which facilitated the extension of the worship space to nearly twice its original size.   The property is also occupied by another Heritage Victoria listed building in Dendy House, a 1870s former vicarage as well as the 1978 mud-brick community hall by Robert Marshall.  Aside from extending the worship space, the...

Read More