Author: CHB

Frank Gehry’s latest phase in Philadelphia museum project

Frank Gehry and his team have presented the latest milestone of the philadelphia museum of art’s master plan and renovation. the landmark building has served as the cultural heart of the great American city since its opening in 1928 at which time its north entrance and the ground-level spaces to which it led were designated entirely for public use. As this area was eventually repurposed as a loading dock in 1975 in preparation for the nation’s bicentennial, the significant space has since been hidden from public view. This latest phase in Gehry’s ‘core project’ master plan at last reintroduces to...

Read More

Radical parish church restoration at Eltham

St.Margaret’s Anglican Church was built in 1861, designed by the architect Nathaniel Billing as a polychromatic brick gothic revival building atop a hill in Pitt Street, Eltham.  The Heritage Victoria registered building is notable for its geometric brickwork, large buttresses, and central bell turret, but also featured a farsighted temporary rear wall which facilitated the extension of the worship space to nearly twice its original size.   The property is also occupied by another Heritage Victoria listed building in Dendy House, a 1870s former vicarage as well as the 1978 mud-brick community hall by Robert Marshall.  Aside from extending the worship space, the...

Read More

Memorial to revolutionaries sets new boundaries

Project overview Jiangshan City in Zhejiang Province of China is a “red” and heroic land where many revolutionaries sacrificed their lives to fight for the liberty of the nation and the people. In order to remember the history and revolutionary martyrs as well as take warning for the future, the local government decided to build the Jiangshan Martyrs Memorial Hall. Located on the south end of a mountain park, the project is adjacent to Xishan Road and urban area on the east, Xishan Park on the north, and the already-existed public cemetery on south and west sides. The north-south...

Read More

Meck Architekten designs asymmetric ceramic-clad church in Poing

The church of Seliger Pater Rupert Mayer in the town of Poing, near Munich in Germany, is topped with a ceramic crown clad with 15,000 white, three-dimensional tiles. Munich studio Meck Architekten designed the rectangular church, which can accommodate 220 worshipers, to be a landmark in the growing town. The church dedicated to a German priest named Rupert Mayer, who was a leading figure in the Catholic resistance to the Nazis in Munich, has two visually distinct elements. Its single-storey base is made of grey stone blocks constructed from molasse – a type gravel that is found in the region, while the sculptural roof is...

Read More

Only remaining UK semaphore tower saved

The Semaphore Tower on Chatley Heath in Surrey is the only surviving semaphore tower in Britain. Complete with a working semaphore mast, it is a unique remnant from the Napoleonic era. The Grade II* tower was once a vital link in a signalling chain that transmitted messages in just a few minutes from Admiralty House in London to Portsmouth Docks. Now sadly it has fallen into disrepair, with water seeping into its fine brickwork. The water ingress has reached a critical point , threatening the mast’s stability and the tower’s structural integrity. Now, thanks to the generosity of over 1,000 Landmark Trust supporters,...

Read More