One of the county’s biggest war memorials is undergoing a clean-up over the summer.
The Carillon Tower in Queen’s Park, Loughborough, was built after the First World War as a memorial to the local men who gave their lives while serving their country.
Construction was completed in 1923 and the 150-foot high tower was officially opened nearly 95 years ago on 22nd July 1923.
The tower houses 47 bells, crafted by John Taylor Bell Foundry in Loughborough, and it is a grade two listed building.
It is also home to a war museum.
For the next few months the tower will remain shrouded in scaffolding for a £280,000 conservation project.
The work, being paid for by Charnwood Borough Council and the War Memorials Trust, is due to be completed by the autumn in time for the annual November 11 Remembrance Day event, which this year marks the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War.
The work means the museum will remain closed over the summer and the bells will not be heard.
The work will see the machinery that chimes the bells fully restored with the striking hammers of each bell refurbished by the foundry.
There will also be some maintenance to the workings of the bells themselves.Repairs will also be carried out on the stonework, copper roof, bronze memorial plaques, windows and doors.
Another part of the work will involve improving the lighting so that the bells can be more easily viewed.