With a 15th century church, listed as a historic monument in 1927, the Letellier Architects agency seized this heritage opportunity to design the Vindrac-Alayrac House of Culture to enhance the very nature of the place: to reflect its particular idiosyncrasies.
To do this, preserving the precious remains (tombs found in the Merovingian cemetery) and beyond, making them the main actors in the scenography of the place was the essence of the project.
The treatment of the west facade focused on the integration of these gabled sarcophagi through the reinterpretation of the crude steel funeral niches: the end result is a fine facade paying respectful witness to the illustrious past of this glorious building.
ARCHITECTS: Letelier Architectes
PHOTOGRAPHER: Jacques Sierpinski