The Élysée Montmartre (French: L’Élysée Montmartre) is a music venue located at 72 Boulevard de Rochechouart, Paris, France. It opened in 1807, but burned down in 2011.
It was originally a ballroom inaugurated in 1807 where the famous Can-Can was performed among others dances during the 19th century.
In 1900, the venue was damaged by fire, and was re-decorated. After the Second World War, the venue can also host boxing matches.
When the ElysÈe Montmartre burned in 2011, the fire was very significant. Nothing could be preserved from the existing building, and it was necessary to completely demolish the building, except for the classified facades which were preserved. The construction site was complicated since the ElysÈe is located on former quarries, major special foundation work was necessary.
The ElysÈe Montmartre was a degraded version, many layers of successive works had denatured its initial coherence. Two important versions stand out in the historical writings, the version by …douard Niermans, a student of Charles Garnier, built in 1897, by reusing the structure of the Pavillon de France built by Gustave Eiffel for the 1889 Uni-purpose Exhibition. And the other, built in 1857 by the architect Stanislas Delalot, when the ElysÈe Montmartre became a covered popular ball.
Architects Studio Combo wanted to retain the version of the Second Empire.
“We were sensitive to this period when architecture began to use metal structures for so-called noble buildings. With the help of Antoine Fontaine, we designed an original metal structure in the style of this period and also the secondary elements to form a coherent whole,” said Studio Combo.
A few contemporary touches punctuate the whole, including a large monk bar. The dressing rooms were also treated to be more contemporary and with care to offer an original welcome for artists.
The main room was separated by two technical processes, the slab of the room was totally mounted on a network of low-frequency spring boxes, allowing a strong isolation of the basses, and the posts of the structure with an elastomer sandwich principle.
In order to make the room versatile, and allow to modify the position of the stage space, the architects designed a stage set on 180m2 mounted on a chain of screw jacks with a stroke of 4m. The length of the stroke is so important that the stage has 2 intermediate trays to slide the chairs in the room. This equipment allows the room to have two possible configurations, one where the audience is standing and the other seated.